Journal Entry #2 - Familiars

 *~ Familiars~*
Before going into what Misa's familiars are, we should first define what a familiar is. By definition, traditionally a familiar is a servant of a vampire. Familiars are gifted a tiny amount of the host vampire's power, often through a few droplets of the vampire's blood, which causes the receiver and the vampire to create a linked bond. Depending on the vampire's nobility and their intention, this familiar can become a servant that bends to the will of the vampire, to someone who is under a spell only when around the vampire. This bond can be one of servitude, lust, friendship, power, or whatever the host vampire fancies.

Now, as we established, a familiar is gifted power from the host vampire, depending on the purpose in which the vampire chose to turn a person into a familiar. Sometimes, the power can be minimal, such as in the case of servitude, it could be the power of more strength, to do physical labor, or less hunger. In the cases of friendship or lust, it could be actual vampire powers such as extended age (maybe 10 or 20 years) or faster recovery and health. In the case of power, it could be increased sentences to send their familiar into situations that would be beneficial for the vampire but is during the day.  

As it pertains to the vampire society that I come from, familiars and turned vampires are not the same. Familiars are still humans, but they may have some low-level vampiric skills, but they don't need to drink blood, and will age and decease as humans do. On the other hand, a turned vampire is given a larger amount of a host vampire's blood and is thus turned into a vampire and lose all human nature. This is how the two are different. A familiar can become a blood drinking being if given too much blood but not enough to turn them. But these are often chaotic and go crazy due to their inability to control their thirst and can become a problem for the host vampire, thus are often only created on accident by fledgling vampires. 


So why are Misa's familiars able to turn into cat bats, you might be asking? As I wrote in my previous journal, vampires have many different abilities, and my lineage as a strong association is transformative powers. Moreover, I do have a genetically engineered cat bat pet, Luna, created by my mother. The familiars I create are based on friendship and I use a mix of my blood and Luna's blood to give to my familiars. This allows them, when around me, to transform into cat bats just like Luna. Because it's a relationship based on friendship, when around me, my familiars have the ability to change at will. This ability only works when around me, and only lasts for a temporary time, roughly 2-3 hours.

For the record, I have only created familiars, which is only given to people who are supportive of me. I have never created a vampire in the over 300 years that I have been alive, and because I choose to live amongst humans during the day, I don't intend to create any either. 


Art: @AlisaArt19, @HitoyoruMisa, @snerplues




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends I Met Along My Travels 2

Introduction Lore ~ Chapter 1 Memories

Friends I Met Along My Travels Chapter 1